Hoschton is a quiet, rural town with easy access to I-85, shopping & restaurants.
Settlers came to this rich farm area prior to The Civil War. Henry Hosch, the oldest of his brothers came from South Carolina to establish a plantation and a family. Henry built a single room cabin on what is now a large tract of land between Highway 53 and the Mulberry River. He located his home close to the river for the water source. After Henry was settled, he brought his wife and several brothers to the area to assist in operating the plantation. There was a need for a larger home, so they built a larger cabin closer to the river. As the plantation thrived, talk of a Civil War increased.
Henry learned of the start of the war while attending a meeting at Rockwell Church, approximately 8 miles down Highway 53, toward Winder. A strong-minded Lieutanent Henry, mounted his horse, secured his rifle, and sent a message to his wife Matilda and family that he had gone to Virginia. She was expected to run the plantation. With a friend, MaHaffey, as the overseer, the plantation did continue to grow.
Henry Hosch did not survive the war due to a disease. His body was eventually returned from Virginia and now rests in the family plot in the Hoschton City Cemetery. His plot is marked by a bronze marker.
Skirmishes occurred on the Plantation and soldiers of both sides rested on its grounds. A large conflict developed close by at the covered bridge, just a short distance down the river from our current bridge on Peachtree Road.
After the war had ended, the area continued to grow. Around 1860, two young teenage Hosch boys built a general store, which still remains on the corner of Highway 53 and Peachtree Road. The store supplied a growing population and the area eventually became Hoschton.
The real stimulation for Hoschton was the rich farm area and the need for a railroad. The downtown area was established a short distance from where the Hoschton Train Depot now stands. The Hoschs divided surrounding land and sold off lots to establish a community with additional stores and other needed services and supplies. The city flourished and became a dominant community in this area.
By 1892, the downtown area had stores, a pharmacy, a blacksmith shop and a tannery which employed about 300 people. There was also a gristmill, several boarding houses and a hospital with 5 or 6 practicing doctors. The hospital, known as the Allen Clinic, included nurses' quarters and still remains at the corner of Highway 53 and Peachtree Road.
Several homes of the original Hosch family still stand in the city of Hoschton. Additional historical homes and churches also remain. The population was 1,377 at the 2010 census.
Where We Are Now...
Hoschton has grown into a beautiful, charming city with strong roots to its past. Hoschton is internationally known for its Hoschton Fall Festival, an annual event which made the city the Scarecrow Capital of the World.
Search Hoschton, GA Homes for Sale
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
© 2017 Georgia MLS. All rights reserved.
Today's Market Trends for Hoschton, GA *
* All data pertains to single-family homes